WWDC is just around the corner, featuring some 10.8 (dubbed “Mountain Lion”) excitement, maybe some iOS 6 news, and possibly some hardware upgrades, although I have my doubts about cluttering the developer conference with hardware announcements.
But since it’s coming I decided to have a glance at Mountain Lion, to be at least able to follow the discussions. Now, it’s true I haven’t changed my setup in a while: my traveling companion is a late 2008 black MacBook (boosted in RAM and hard drive as time passed) that’s way more than a match for its current counterparts in terms of development. And to my mind, once it’s equipped with a SSD drive (which I can swap in very easily, by the way), it’s going to be somewhere between 20 and 40% slower than its 4-years-younger rivals. Yep.
The only thing that dramatically improved these past few years are the graphics and the core redundancy. Since I don’t play on my macbook, and can wait the extra 20s it will take to finish compiling my biggest project (I tested), I feel confident this puppy will follow me a little bit more.
But! Not so fast! 10.8 won’t run on it. Wait, what? For a frickin 20% penalty, I get to buy a new laptop in which I can’t change the hard disk, upgrade its RAM, or get an extra battery? Apparently so.
The official reason is that it won’t run in 64 bits. Wait, what? It does too! It runs 64bits programs like a charm.
“No no no, you don’t get it, it won’t boot in 64 bits. That’s why we won’t support it”. Wait, what? Windows 7 boots it in 64 bits. So does Linux. What’s the game here?
So, for my laptop, not only do I have to shell out 2k euros, but for features that I don’t care about (I have a console for gaming purposes, thank you very much), and at the expense of features I actually need (given that I work a lot with video, my hard drive has a life expectancy of a couple of years, tops). OK, well… For my laptop, I might actually get convinced, given the fact that it is pretty banged up. But that’s vanity, not technical.
And it gets worse with my trusty Mac Pro. 4 cores, 8GB of RAM and some pretty good video card (for gaming… sold that way, anyway), but still no go. The same “it won’t boot in 64 bits” shenanigans.
Except, we are absolutely not in the same game, price-wise. I can’t replace my Mac Pro with an iMac. I have 4x2TB of storage in there, plus a boatload of things connected to the myriad of available ports. So I would have to replace it with a new Mac Pro. If it ever gets announced, the thing I will need will cost something like 4k to 6k. That’s a hell of a lot for a tiny teenie booting issue that got fixed on both b1 and b2 beta releases of the OS, but that got closed on the b3 for no obvious reason.
I get that Apple is a hardware company, and needs to sell hardware. And in the past, every time my computer slowed to unbearable speeds, I upgraded my hardware gladly. But this is not it. If someone forces you to do something for no other reason than “because we say so”, there’s a good chance of a backlash.
Oh and by the way? VMWare Fusion allows me to run 10.8 in a virtual machine… on these two computers. And the speed is decent too. So I hope Apple continues behaving like the good guy, and does not start using wrong tactics for commercial reasons. They have the money (that I gave freely and abundantly over the years), they can afford it.